KIDS Center is a child abuse intervention center serving Deschutes, Jefferson, and Crook counties, as well as Warm Springs and surrounding counties. Dedicated to the children of Central Oregon, KIDS Center provides evaluation and treatment in a child-friendly environment for children and families impacted by child abuse as well as prevention and education for the Central Oregon community.
While KIDS Center is funded by a combination of federal and state grants; prevention programs; private foundations; in-kind donations; individual donors and event revenue, nearly 60% of donations come from local individuals and businesses. With this support, all services are offered at zero cost to the children and families who walk through the door. KIDS Center was built by the community, for the community, and we are honored to continue to provide necessary services to children and families impacted by child abuse.
Here are a few concrete facts and figures about the people who were served by KIDS Center in 2016:
- 2,667 children, youth, and family were directly served.
- 426 child abuse evaluations and consults took place at KIDS Center.
- 758 families received critical Family Support Services.
- 1,525 adults were trained in our Prevention and Education programs.
- 210 children received therapy through our partnership with Deschutes County Behavioral Health.
The dollars that KIDS Center receives provides direct intervention and treatment services, including:
Child-friendly forensic interviews
Head-to-toe medical exams
Individual, group, and family therapy and support groups
Also provided are Family Support Services that connect families with community resources. The community resources aim to minimize life stressors and reduce future opportunities for abuse to occur. Prevention and education programs, which accounted for 15% of the 2015 expenditures, help teach youth and adults throughout Central Oregon how to better protect children from abuse. Trainings and program offered through the Prevention Team include:
- The Darkness to Light: Stewards of Children training to provide participants 5 steps to better recognize signs of child sexual abuse and prevent abuse from happening
- Internet Safety training to help parents and caregivers become aware of the dangers that exist online
- The Let’s Talk About It program that teaches adults about developmentally appropriate sexual behavior for children 2-7 years of age and helps parents learn how to talk with their children about body safety
- Parenting classes coordinated with the Parenting Education HUB network of 25 tri-county organizations who work together to provide education and activities for families
At KIDS Center, we firmly believe that working within the family system to facilitate support and continued care is essential for a child to heal from abuse. KIDS Center also provides individual and family therapy, onsite, and through our partnership with Deschutes County Behavioral Health. With an emphasis on building strong attachments and nurturing home environments, therapists provide family therapy and case management services to help reduce any barriers to recovery.
The annual Cork & Barrel wine and food extravaganza greatly benefits the day-to-day operations, and long-term sustainability, of KIDS Center. Over the three-day fundraiser this July, which will bring in up to 18 wineries from throughout the Pacific NW; local and regional guest chefs and restaurants; and fun + education in the beautiful outdoor environs of Broken Top Club, our goal is to raise $550,000. And we can do it! With your support.
What are you doing July 20, 21 and 22?
- Thursday, July 20 marks an evening of various Winemaker Dinners throughout Central Oregon – we will announce the lineup early this spring.
- Friday, July 21 is the energetic, fun, and social “A Sip of Cork & Barrel”, which allows participants to interactively explore the wine country of the Pacific NW via the Passport Program with the chance to win a 2-day trip through wine country! All Cork & Barrel wineries are paired with guest chefs and restaurants for thoughtful small bite food and wine pairings.
- Saturday, July 22 is the Grand Cru fundraising gala, starting off with appetizers and tastings from all wineries, followed by a 5-course meal and the uber exciting Live Auction where guests truly make a difference through generous philanthropy. And, of course, there’s the after party complete with dancing alongside a live performance from Hit Machine
Consider joining us this July at one, or all, of the events that collectively make Cork & Barrel respected as THE wine event of Central Oregon!